Thursday, May 31, 2007

Kobe Waffles on Trade Demand

All it took to change his mind was a few hours. Kobe Bryant is now saying he doesn't want to leave Los Angeles. All the while Lakers fans hold their breath and prepare for the worst. It is clear that Kobe is not happy with the current state of things, otherwise this fiasco wouldn't have happened. But the question now is is he discontent enough to follow through on his trade demand or is he willing to wait more?

How did he waffle on his position? According to John Nadel of the Associated Press, Kobe told LA radio station KLAC, "'They said nothing to me about a long-term plan. Absolutely nothing. They told Phil one thing and they told me another. Actions speak louder than words." Then on Wednesday morning he told ESPN Radio, "'I would like to be traded, yeah. Tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there's no other alternative. It's rough, man, but I don't see how you can rebuild that trust. I just don't know how you can move forward in that type of situation." Later in the day, he told KLAC, "'I don't want to go anywhere, this is my team."'

Why the sudden change of heart? Apparently, Kobe contacted Phil Jackson, who said, "'You know what, Kobe? Let's try to figure this thing out."' If Kobe finds content with the Lakers once again, Laker fans may remember this moment as the time when Phil saved the Lakers. This soap opera will continue for sure and Angelenos will watch every moment. But, Kobe has taken a gamble in that if this drags out and he is perceived as the villain, Laker fans will turn on him and demand he be traded.

All quotes in this entry are from John Nadel's AP article on this story. Here's the link to the full article
: "Bryant requests trade, then backs off"

7 comments:

  1. Consider me a subscriber. This should be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! Keep it up. Can't wait till football season where my boys will kick your Patty's butts!

    On a more serious note I am sorry for the Patriots team and the family of DE Marquise Hill. His recent death was tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make sure that Craig reads your blog regularly so he can keep up with what's happening.

    Thanks A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start AJ. I would have been interested in what your personal opinions are. Do you think Kobe would be happy in a new place and do well? Do you think he should be traded? You described the situation very well, and posed good questions, but you didn't take a stand yourself so we can't really debate your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think, TC, that Andrew has expressed his position subtly. I think he's expressing some displeasure about Kobe, but backing off from direct criticism. Or, maybe he's just trying to be disinterested -- a true citizen journalist. But of course, once you cover a story, you're pretty much taking a stand all by that self.

    Anyway...

    Andrew: I agree with TC in that I would like to hear your thoughts more clearly, in this and other posts. As far as the issue of this one goes: I can understand Kobe's frustration, and I don't blame him for voicing it, but then later seeming to back off from it. I'm sure this is a complicated thing in his mind.

    It must be a sad thing to be Kobe: once the designated Michael-Jordan-heir-apparent, and now, portrayed by the shallow media as kind of a bad guy. We love to tear down our heroes in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Point well taken, Brendan. I think I do know where AJ stands on the Kobe deal, but it's only by inference and I was encouraging him to state it outright rather than leave us readers to deduce it from subtle clues. My own opinion is that Kobe is a kinder, gentler version of Terrel Owens. Fantastic talent, but all caught up in himself. I don't think he'll be happy and a team player wherever he might go. So he's one of these guys who can give you a good game or a great game on any given night, but in the overall scheme of the concept of a team sport things will never be just right to suit him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea with some of these columns is to not show bias, but perhaps I shouldn't have tried to mask my opinions so much. Just for the record, though, I've never been a Kobe fan.

    ReplyDelete